Saturday, February 20, 2021

I Don't Really Want to Do This

 Adam and I were on our way to the funeral home.  We were going to express our final respects to someone we both knew.  It’s been so long ago; I don’t even remember how old Adam was.  Maybe 13?  It was the first time he made his own decision to go to a visitation.  

I didn’t tell him what to wear; but he dressed nicely.  I was proud of him and his decision.  On the way to the funeral home, he was a little fidgety.  Finally, he looked over at me and said “Mom, I really don’t want to do this. I just want you to know.” 

“Son, I don’t know anyone who ever wants to go to the funeral home,” I said.

He responded, “Yeah, I know.   It will be sad, and I am a little nervous.  But I know later I will be glad I was there for my friend.” 

We started talking about Romans 12:15. “Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.”  Christians are supposed to love and comfort one another.  We are to be there for each other through the good times and the bad times. 

Those things we do for each other are not always pleasant tasks.  But if we truly love each other, we will do them anyway.   Jesus said, “Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” – (Matthew 5:4).  I think part of that comes through the faith and peace we have as Christians.  I also think part of that comfort comes from other Christians. 

I believe Jesus built the church because He knew we would need each other.  We do this for our fellow Christians to help keep them from losing their way.  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God” (1 Corinthians 1:3-4). 

We know we have all drawn comfort from our Heavenly Father – so then we comfort others who need it.  To show we love them – like God loves us.  Losing a loved one is one of the terrible losses we face in life.  It is good to know we never have to go through that journey alone. 

People need comfort for other reasons.  It could be when we realize we have fallen short and we repent before the church confessing our sins.  We should be right there offering help and comfort in any way we can.  Struggling with temptation is difficult.  Sometimes we just need help.  Paul wrote in 1 Thessalonians 5:14 –"Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all.”

We may need comfort when we or someone in our family is sick or recovering from surgery.  Our Christian family can help in so many ways during these times.  When natural disaster strikes, and homes are destroyed – the church as a group and as individuals pitch in to help. 

We all need a little help now and then.  Because God comforts us, let us also comfort others – even when it is not always easy. 

Christ above all things – Robin   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment