Saturday, March 30, 2019

This Past Sunday

         Last Sunday was a great day!  Anytime we are able to see  goodness and love in action, our day gets brighter.  Sunday was one of those days for me.  
         Love doesn't always show itself in some big outward gesture.  Oh sure, the big things do happen- like marriage proposals during halftime at ball games, or surprise birthday parties - or special wedding anniversaries.  Those things don't happen every day.  
      So what about all the other days?  Love still shows itself in so many forms - countless tiny acts of giving.  We find it in the little things we do for each other.  These are the gestures which keep us going .... keep us believing there is good in this world.  
         This past Sunday,  I was with 40 other Christians who took the time to attend a Sunday morning devotional at the nursing home.  They could have been speeding off to lunch; but they didn't.  They chose to show kindness to others who really needed it.  
       I saw my Christian friends spread a little cheer through song.   I saw the residents join in singing praises to God - singing with enthusiasm and joy.  They had no song books; but they didn't need them.  Those sweet ladies knew all the words and the joy it gave them was written all over their faces. 
     I saw two sisters speak ever so gently to a woman who seemed overwhelmed and confused.   I saw gentle smiles and hands holding hands.  And hugs -  I saw hugs this past Sunday.  Human touch can be so comforting - physical contact is a show of love in and of itself.  
       Sometimes an act of love is so subtle it is easy to miss.  Yet, if we make ourselves aware of what's going on around us we will be able to see love in action.  We don't always take the time to look for it; but it is definitely worth the effort.  
       When our devotional ended, most of us stayed a few minutes to visit with the residents.  As I leaned over to speak to one sweet lady, she looked up and smiled.  Then she leaned her head on my shoulder as she drew herself into my hug.  She had the most cheerful smile!  
      The men didn't seem to want hugs; but they were happy to shake your hand.  There were other greetings between the two groups.  Giving them the respect they deserved, we called the men 'sir' and the women 'ma'am.'
      I left feeling much better than I did when I got there.  I always do when I visit the nursing home.  It started raining on the way to the car.  I noticed men holding umbrellas as a couple of our ladies got into their vehicle.  Another gentleman (and I mean gentleman in the truest sense of the word) loaded a walker into their car.  That was indeed love in action!
        Everything that went on this past Sunday morning was about love.  From Sunday school class to the lesson during the worship hour.  By the way, the lesson (sermon) was about love.  The point was love should be the symbol for Christians.  People should recognize a Christian through their acts of compassion, mercy and love.  It should be 'our sign.'  I enjoyed the comparison. 
      The demonstrations of love followed us to the nursing home.  And love traveled home with me to a quiet peaceful lunch with my husband.  As I reflected on all the things I saw, I couldn't help but smile.  It was a good - no, it was a great morning!  
      Remember love isn't just something you say.  It is an action word.  Think about this ----
     God loves, so He gave us His Son.  Jesus loves, so He gave His life for us.  The Holy Spirit loves, so He is a Comforter and a Helper.  "The Spirit Himself pleads with God for us in groans that words cannot express"  (Romans 8:26b).  This kind of love is what we should strive to show one another.  
     So the next time you go out and about - look for love.  Recognize it when you see it.  You will find it when someone lets another someone in front of them in the check out line at the grocery store.  You might see love when someone pays for a veteran's meal at a restaurant.
       Love might show itself when the person in front of you in the drive through buys your breakfast; or when a parent tells their child they are a good boy or girl.  You might see it when a family buys groceries for a neighbor in need.  
        Love is all around if we only take the time to look for it.
Recognize it when you see it.  Enjoy it.  Revel in it when it is given to you.  Be thankful for it!  More importantly be the love other people need.  And be thankful for that, too.
     We go to the nursing home again tomorrow.  I can't wait!
       
         I John 3:10  -- See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.

      I John 3:18 -- Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and truth.  
         
Christ above all things, 
Robin 


       



No comments:

Post a Comment