Sunday, December 23, 2018

Those Foggy Mornings

      Twice over the past few days I was surprised to wake up to a think and very hazy fog hugging the ground.  I know fog is a naturally occurring phenomenon .  Foggy mornings are not that unusual.  Maybe it was because I was driving or maybe it is just because I am more observant these days.  Either way, these two very different occurrences had an impact on me. 
     The first morning was a couple of weeks ago.  The temperature fell during the night, so we woke up to a 'freezing fog.'   It was both eerie and beautiful at the same time.  My Dad captured it in a photo. It was the morning of December 11th.
                                

     But the picture doesn't do justice to the real beauty of that morning.  Of course it was very thick and visibility was low.  Caution was required when driving.  I don't remember being afraid, though.  Oh I was alert and watchful as I drove to work, but somehow not afraid.  
     I guess I was mesmerized.  I felt isolated - but in a good way.  It was so quiet and calming.  It felt like God was making His presence known - like He wanted my attention.  
    With fog that thick, I had to slow down.  When my driving slowed, my mind stopped racing from one thought to another as it so often does.  I forgot about the daily rat race so many of us are in.  My thoughts turned immediately to our Heavenly Father. I forgot all my troubles and began thanking Him for the beauty of the moment. 
     As if to crown the morning with His glory, I was almost at my workplace when the fog dissipated and the sun broke through the mist.  The sky above was bright and beautiful - reminding me again of His awesome power and majesty.  I could not help but smile as I praised Him.  
     
      On the morning of December 17th I woke up once again surprised by a foggy mist clinging to the earth.  I just hadn't expected it.  For me this time was a totally different experience.  The fog was so thick it seemed like I could reach out and touch it.
       I saw more danger this time than I did in the freezing fog.  I could barely see the lights of other cars through the thick mist.  On my 22 mile trek to work, I passed Highway Patrolmen four different times in different places.  Two of these were at accident scenes.             
     Was the fog really that much worse or did drivers just fail to be as diligent as they were a week ago?  As for me, I made a wrong turn.  I exited the highway several miles earlier than I should have.  I didn't realize it until it was too late.  
       I couldn't see around me to figure out where I was, so I was lost .... really lost.  Fortunately, I saw a road sign fairly quickly and got my bearings again.  It was scary! 
      This time the sun didn't break through the fog before I got to work.  It was shining brightly by the time I went out to lunch though.  Again, I couldn't help but smile and be thankful. 
      These two very different mornings helped me remember a few things.  
  • Isolate yourself from the rest of the world occasionally. Connect to God in those quiet times.  Give Him the attention He deserves.  God wants us to be with us.  Seek Him out. "The Lord is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth"  (Psalm 145:18).  
  •   Recognize the power and majesty behind the beauty of the day.  "Be still and know that I am God.  I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! (Psalm 46:10).
  •  Be aware of your surroundings danger is always near.  Peter warns us of this.  "Be sober-minded; be watchful.  Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour"  (1 Peter 5:8).
  •  One wrong turn can cause you to be lost.  
  •  Look for the right road signs to get back on track.  Let the Bible guide your way. 
  •  When the clouds are so thick around you that you can't see anything else, don't give up.  The Son is always there - and if we don't give up - His light eventually breaks through even the thickest mist.  "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace.  In the world, you will have tribulation.  But take heart; I have overcome the world."  (John 16:33).
     Remember God will always be with us if we want Him to be.  In times of beauty and joy, in times of light, in times of darkness and uncertainty, look for the right signs.  Stay with Him regardless of your situation.  His light will always guide your way. 

Christ above all things, 
Robin 





No comments:

Post a Comment