Thursday, May 11, 2017

A Hard Fightin' Soldier

      Two nights ago I was having a wonderful night.  We just finished the monthly ladies' devotional at our congregation.  My mom and I lingered for a while talking with the hostess and enjoying a little extra fellowship.  As we said our final good byes, I looked at my phone and suddenly the night began to change.  
      I often mention my prayer group.  I am honored to be part of that group of very faithful and wonderful Christian women.  We have a group text set up.  Through this we stay in close communication with one another.  
     Tuesday night when I looked at my phone, it was sad news.  News that required immediate prayer.  One of our sister friends had collapsed and was unresponsive.  An ambulance was on the way to her home.  I was so thankful Mom drove us home so I could read the texts that were coming fast and furiously.  
      Only a short time later we learned our sweet Angie was gone.  I knew I would miss her.  She had a tremendous impact on my life.  Yet, I could not be sad.   She won her battle with the world.  God called my sister friend home.  Victory was hers.  We praised God!  
     See Angie would be the first to tell anyone she spent part of her adult life in the church and part of it participating in worldly things.  I can relate to that.  I did not always walk with God either.  
      But a few short months ago, Angie took up her Christian armor once again and became a brave soldier for Jesus.  She fought the good fight of faith valiantly.  She faced a lot of hardships ... a lot of temptations, but she thanked God for her troubles.  I heard her pray that.  Can you imagine?  James tells us to do it; but I don't think I ever actually heard anyone say those words in a prayer.  Angie did. 
     She also thanked Him for keeping her alive long enough for her to come to her senses and quit "being so hard-headed" (her words).  She was thankful for another chance to live and serve her Savior.   
      And she REJOICED!  Through all of her troubles and all of her heartaches ... she rejoiced.   She praised God in her trials and she rejoiced in His mercy and grace.  She was always so joyful to be with her church family!  She rejoiced as she pleaded with God to give her strength and help her conquer her demons.  
      Angie prayed for and encouraged others.  She often told us how much she loved and needed us.   She told us how thankful she was for us.  She had a tender and loving heart.         She urged us to stay strong - reminding us that we were all in this together and she pleaded with the Heavenly Father to give strength, comfort and peace to others she knew were hurting.   She asked God to "put a hedge row of protection"  around her sisters.  
     My friend took up God's armor and boldly marched into battle every day.  She was "strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might."  She stood against the devil's schemes.  She knew, probably better than most, who she fought against ... who the enemy was.   And she stood firm.  
     She wore the breastplate of righteousness and did her best to do right by every one.  She wore the belt of truth and was honest about her past ... and tried to get others to change as she had.  She stood ready with the gospel of peace .. longing for peace in her life and wishing the same for those she loved.  
      Angie had taken up the shield of faith and it covered her life.  She was so thankful for God's forgiveness as she wore the helmet of salvation,  knowing Christ had died for her and was standing with her helping her fight every battle.  She was armed with the sword of the Spirit, the word of God, as she turned to the scriptures time and time again.  She studied her Bible and encouraged others to seek the truth.  
      Lastly, but certainly not least, she prayed and she prayed.  She praised God.  She thanked God.  And she pleaded with Him for love and peace.  Tuesday night my sister... my friend ...  a very hard fighting soldier ... won her war.  She fought her good fight of faith .... and finally had her peace.  
      The next morning when I thought of Angie and the reality of her death began to take hold, these are the two passages that kept coming to my mind.  
      "Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm."  (Ephesians 6:13) 
      
      "When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written:  
        'Death is swallowed up in victory. 
        O death, where is your victory? 
        O death, where is your sting?'  (1 Corinthians 15:54-56)

     I thank God for my friend ... my hard fighting soldier. 

Christ above all things,
Robin Whitley

No comments:

Post a Comment