Saturday, October 29, 2016

Running Out of Gas

      A few weeks ago my car ran out of gas ... on two different occasions within a couple of weeks.  In my defense, the gas gauge on my car wasn't working.  After driving this vehicle for the past few years, I thought I had learned to tell when I really was low on gas.  Apparently I wasn't as familiar with my car than I thought I was; or maybe I just wasn't being as attentive as I should have been. 
      The first time it happened was on a Sunday night.  I was on my way home from worship.  I actually got to within about 100 feet of making it home.  I could clearly see my house.  I called my husband and he came to my rescue.  He brought the gas can and put enough fuel in my tank to get completely home and also make it to the gas station the next morning.  
      Well, one would have thought I had learned my lesson.   Not so, my friends.  Only a few days later it happened again.  This time I was at an intersection waiting to turn left.  The work day had ended and I was anxious to get home.  When the light changed to green, the car wouldn't go. 
       I'm sure the folks in cars behind me were quite frustrated and wondered why I was hindering their progress.  Two very nice young men kindly pushed my car out of the way so that others could move on.  They offered to help more; but I was within very close walking distance to a gas station, so I told them I would be fine. I thought surely I could get some help from there.   
     Seconds after they walked away, a friend from work pulled up behind me and asked if she could help.  She had to pick her child up from day care; but said she would come back.  I told her I knew I would be OK and for her to please go on home.  Nonetheless, she insisted on giving me her cell phone number before she left "just in case." 
     Just as I started that short walk, an old friend whom I hadn't seen in months drove by.  He stopped on the side of the road and said "Get in."  I tried to tell him it would be OK, and he replied something to the effect, "It's hot out here, I said get in."  So I did.  
      He drove me to the gas station.  Somebody he knew there had a gas can.  So I got the help I needed, visited with an old friend a little while and in a short time I was on my way home none the worse for the wear.  But maybe a little wiser.
     I learned several practical lessons from these experiences. Naturally I began to think of spiritual applications as well.   I love it when I'm able to relate the physical to the spiritual. Somehow things make more sense that way.   So where do I start??   Oh boy!  I think there may have to be two parts to this because so many things come to my mind.
      The first lesson I learned -- or perhaps I should say remembered-- is to be prepared.   A lot of other thoughts fall in line with this.  We all know a car needs gas to run.  It just won't drive on an empty tank.  Yet, I allowed myself to forget this very important rule.    
      We have to stop and re-fuel our automobiles on a pretty regular basis just to keep us going.  And when I forgot -- when I wasn't prepared -- what happened?   Well, I ran out of gas and stopped dead in the road.  That's what happened.  I didn't make it home on my home.  
     And it didn't make much difference how close I was, I still didn't make it home in own vehicle.  The first time I ran out of gas, I was only 100 feet from the house.  I could have walked there easily.  The second time I was 22 miles from home.  The distance made no difference in the overall result.  100 feet away or 22 miles away - the problem was the same.  My car was stuck on the side of the road.  
      The same is true of our spiritual lives.  It doesn't matter how long we've been Christians or how close we get to the end of our natural earthly life if we run out of spiritual gas and let ourselves get stuck on the side of the worldly road, we don't make it to our heavenly home.  If we let our faith and hope and love for God run out of our heart and soul, we just don't make it.  
     Folks we don't make it to heaven on an empty tank.  We have to be full of love for Christ.  We have to be walking in the light and abiding in His Word.  We have to be abound in good works.  We must bear the fruit of the Spirit and love our fellowman.    
     I'm reminded of the parable of the 10 virgins and so many comments could be made here.  The focal point of this parable is that 5 virgins were prepared.  Their lamps still had oil in them.  The bridegroom invited them in.  They made it home.  The 5 virgins were not prepared.  They ran out of oil (just like my car ran out of gas).  The bridegroom did not invite them.  They did not make it home.  
     God loves us so much and He wants us to be in heaven with Him.  But He wants those who come to Him to be prepared.  He wants us to want to be with Him.  He doesn't want hearts empty of faith and love.  
      Let's not let our souls run out of fuel like I allowed my car to run empty. Listen to what Christ told us in Luke 12:35-38:
      "Stay dressed for action and keep your lamps burning, and be like men who are waiting for their master to come home from the wedding feast, so that they may open the door to him at once when he comes and knocks.  Blessed are those servants whom the master finds awake when he comes.  Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at table, and he will come and serve them.  If he comes in the second watch, or in the third, and finds them awake, blessed are those servants!"
         
       Our souls can't run on empty.  We'll end up stuck on the side of the road. I want to make it all the way home.
Don't you?

Christ above all things, 
Robin
    

No comments:

Post a Comment