Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Perfect Parent

      I am blessed to have parents who love and care for their family.  I am doubly blessed to be able to attend church services at the same congregation they do.  Last Wednesday night after hearing a great lesson, my parents and I were the last ones to leave the church building from our side of the parking lot. 
      I got in my car, put on my seat belt and was preparing to start the van when noticed my parents had pulled from their parking space to the other side of my vehicle.  I was somewhat surprised to see them sitting there until I realized they didn't plan to leave until I did.  They were waiting to  make sure my car started and I was on my home.  It was such a comforting feeling to know they were watching over me. 
     As I drove home, I thanked God for my parents who do so much for all their children and the entire extended family.  That automatically led me to think of the Heavenly Father who loves us all so much.  My dad often tells us that he loves us, but God loves us more.  Oh how wonderful it is to have a perfect parent in heaven who is so full of love for us that He sent His only Son to die for us! 
     God is the perfect parent.  He is the Creator of the world.  He made us (you and me) and he loves us all so much!  There are so many verses in the Bible that tell us of the Father's love.
    “As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.   For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust.  (Psalm 103:13-14 ESV).  I also love Matthew 6:26 and Matthew 10:29-31 –
Jesus  reminds us God is our Father and we are of great value to Him.  These passages are such a comfort for the Christian because Jesus lets us know God takes care of His own.
      Matthew 6:26 - "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?  (ESV)   The Savior goes on to say if we but seek the kingdom of first, all these things will be added to us (v. 33)
     Before He sends the 12 apostles out to preach that the kingdom of heaven is at hand, Christ warns them of the persecution they may suffer.  However, He also reminds them of God's great love and care. 
      “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."
                                                             (Matthew 10:29-31 ESV)
      God cares for His children.  He is always with us -- even through all kinds of trials and persecutions.  He richly rewards those who are steadfastly faithful to Him.   He is the "Father of mercies and the God of all comfort."  (2 Corinthians 1:3)  We can depend on Him to take care of us. 
      Yet the only way we can come to the Father is through the Son.  Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me."  (John 14:6 ESV).  To love the Father we must love the Son.  We must learn from Him.  We must love as He would have us to love.  And we must seek to obey His commandments.  (John 14:15)
       It seems to me it goes in a circle of sorts.  God loves us so much that He gave His only Son (who also loved us).  To show our love to God ... and in order to get to be with Him, we must love and honor the Son.  See -- the Father - gave His Son - to us.   Then we -- follow the Son - to get to the Father. 
       I am so very grateful to have parents who love me.  But God - my perfect parent - our perfect parent --loves us more.  This loves goes far beyond anything we can imagine.   If we live for the Son -- we glorify God and gain eternal life.   What a wonderful thought!
       
     "Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word.  (2 Thessalonians 16-17 ESV)
 
Christ above all things,
Robin

 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment