Friday, January 16, 2015

Sweet Savors and Rainbows

       As I stepped off my front porch Monday morning, I couldn’t help but laugh at myself.  I’m sure I looked rather comical.  I had on a bright royal blue sweater.  The coat I wore has a black and white herringbone pattern and my purse was red.  It was cold and raining so I had two other accessories with me.  My gloves were a vibrant purple and the umbrella I opened was a bright hot pink. 
        It was when I opened the umbrella that I began to laugh.  Purple, pink, red, blue, black and white, I realized I might be wearing a few too many colors at one time!  Images of Pippi Longstocking came immediately to mind.  Now there is a colorful character! 
“Oh well,” I thought to myself, “I guess I’m trying to add a little color to this dark and dreary day.  I’m wearing several colors of the rainbow all at one time.”   Of course that thought led me to thinking about rainbows.  I think everyone loves to see a rainbow in the sky.  Their beauty is undeniable.
The sight of the first rainbow must have been breathtaking!  I can’t begin to imagine how Noah and his family must have felt as they stepped off that ark.  I’m sure they were thankful for being saved from the disastrous flood, but seeing the world so empty and knowing they were the only ones who survived may have given them a great sense of loss as well.  They were probably overcome with many mixed emotions. 
Regardless of Noah’s personal feelings, he still put God first.  He made an altar and gave sacrifices to Him.  These sacrifices made a sweet savor to God.  (Genesis 8:20-21)  Noah was rewarded for his faithfulness and his sacrifice.  The Heavenly Father blessed Noah and his sons.  He promised never to destroy the earth with water again.  As a sign of His promise, God set the rainbow in the clouds.  (Genesis 9:11-17) 
Do we think of God’s promise every time we see a rainbow in the sky?  I think most Christians probably do.  I know God remembers because He told Noah that he would. 
 “Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.” (Genesis 9:16)
What lingered in my mind Monday morning was Noah’s faithfulness in offering that sacrifice even after all he and his family had been through.  Stop and think about it.  There was a reason God closed the door to the ark instead of Noah.  The Father loved him enough not to make him responsible for that.
Isn’t it wonderful that even in our darkest times, God can bring such beautiful moments into our lives?  He gave Noah something of great beauty to show His love for him.   Have you ever seen that happen in the lives of Christians today?  I have - several times. 
Recently one of the ladies in our congregation was diagnosed with cancer.  Her surgery was successful.  The doctors were able to remove all the cancer from her body. She said God had shown Himself to her in one way or another almost every day since her diagnosis.  She smiled and said, “I just know He is with me.” 
It is amazing what God can do for us and with us if we hold His hand.  All we have to do is hold on.  Lean on Him.  Noah sought and found grace in the eyes of God and so was chosen to build the ark.  After the sacrifice he gave upon leaving the ark, God rewarded Noah again. 
He made a covenant with him and gave him a beautiful rainbow as a token of that covenant.  God blessed Noah and his sons.  He gave them dominion over the animals and the land.  And he told Noah he would always remember His covenant. 
My point is Noah didn’t mourn and pity his plight to the point that he left off his faithfulness to God.  And because of that God took care of him.   The Bible tells us Noah’s sacrifice was a sweet savor to the Lord.  What do you think was so sweet about it?  Was it the actual odor of the burning sacrifice or was it the act of love and obedience from a heart close to Him?  Don’t you think it was because Noah put God first?  I certainly do!
The time may come when we face our own share of heart wrenching sorrows.  As the writer of Ecclesiastes says, “time and chance happens to us all.”  (Ecclesiastes 9:11) People may bitterly disappoint, rumors may fly around. Illness and loss will occur. Financial woes may strike, and persecution will be faced.  It’s like the saying I once heard, “God never promised us smooth sailing, but He did promise us a safe landing.” 
God has promised to be with us through every storm.  We are His children and He wants us to come to Him with our troubles.  I tend to be a worry wart.  Often in prayer, I will lay my problems at the Father's  feet.  But before I know it I find myself picking them up again.  It is one of my biggest weaknesses, but I keep working on it.  
We cannot let our faith be shaken.  If we seek Him, God will always show Himself to us.  When we hold on to Him even through our darkest moments, He has the most amazing ways of making His presence known.  We have to have “eyes that see” and “ears that hear.” 
May our life be a sweet savor to Him.  If we put Christ first in our life, we will be known by the Father and the Son.  In doing so, God will send us a few of our own rainbows, don’t you think?  We know Christ has promised to take care of His own. 
“Cast all our anxieties on Him because He cares for you (us).” (I Peter 5:7) 

“The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His ears are attentive to their cry;” (Psalm 34:15).

“Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you, He will never let the righteous be shaken.”
                                                        (Psalm 55:22)
The devil would love to see you question your faith. He would have you doubt these verses.  Don’t!

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment