Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pay Attention Please!

     "Pay attention, please!"  How many times have we heard that phrase?  How many times have we said that?  Well, as a parent and Bible class teacher, I can assure you I've said it numerous times over the years.  I'm also sure I was told to pay attention plenty of times as a kid!  It's difficult sometimes to stay focused when we should.  We simply do not always listen as well as we ought to. 
    Just as listening can be very important, sometimes paying attention to what we see is also significant.  I was so frustrated yesterday morning.  It was over something I had done myself; but it didn't lessen my aggravation. 
     I was nearly out of shampoo the other day so while I was shopping I decided to buy another bottle.  I like to change shampoos from time to time, so I looked for something new to try.  I took several minutes looking at brands, formulations and prices.  I even picked up several bottles and opened the top to find out what they smelled like.  After sniffing several bottles, I finally chose one and went on with my shopping.
     Yesterday I was excited to get to use my new shampoo.  But when I picked up the bottle and poured it into my hand I knew the consistency just didn't feel like it was shampoo.  I sensed that something wasn't quite right.  So I picked the bottle up again and read the label.  After all that deliberation over which shampoo to buy, I bought home conditioner instead!!  That was way too much aggravation so early in the morning. 
      On my way to work, I laughed at myself.  I realized I hadn't been paying attention closely enough.  Honestly, conditioner instead of shampoo?  Who does that?  Well, obviously those who don't take the time to actually look at the bottle they are picking up to buy!  I couldn't blame it on anyone but myself.
      Maybe we're like that with the Bible sometimes.  I looked at so many different kinds of shampoo and still picked up the wrong thing.  It was the scent I wanted, but it was conditioner not shampoo.  Sometimes we do the same thing with our Bible study.  Maybe we read a particular passage, think about how beautiful it is but never apply the principles to our lives.  It's the blessings we want; but we don't take the instructions to heart. 
     So often we rationalize sin away.  Oh sure, we might not ever dream of robbing a bank; but then think nothing of robbing a sister of her privacy and good reputation by running to tell someone what we just heard about her.  The Bible says gossip is wrong.  Most of us understand that, but it is sometimes difficult to resist.  (I'm talking to myself here, too). 
     What about always telling the truth?  A lying tongue is one of the things God hates (Proverbs 6:16-17); but even this we rationalize away, thinking that "white lies" are OK --or that "depending on the circumstances" it's OK to fudge on the truth just a little bit.  What about losing our temper and flying off the handle?  James 1:19-20 says:  "Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God." (ESV)  Can anyone say road rage? 
       So often we think the Bible does not apply to us in the same manner that it applies to others.  It's possible to read right over a verse and ignore it's instruction.  We often see people who claim to be Christians, but don't live the life of one.  As individuals, we have a tendency to think that our case is different somehow --that we are special -- that God's word is not directed at us.  It's kind of like my son told me once when he was little, "My name's not thou." 
     Picking and choosing what we want to obey is dangerous.  We might wind up with something we don't want.  I didn't want to bring home conditioner.  I wanted shampoo.  I was careless.  The result of being careless with God's word will be much more serious. 
    Don't rationalize what you find in God's word.  REALIZE how much He loves you.  Get to know His Son through study of the Scriptures.  Understand that Jesus really is your best friend.  Christ tells us in John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."  He is our Lord and Savior.  He put everything on the line for us -- every thing!! 
            Christ warns us about not listening to Him or believing in Him.  John 12:48 is only one of many such verses:  "The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day."   What a scary thought!
        But listen to the beautiful words of our Good Shepherd:  "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."  (John 10:27)   "Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me.  And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to Him."  (John 14:21)

       Pay attention please!  
      Jesus promised us it will be worth it!

Christ above all things,
Robin


       


     

No comments:

Post a Comment