Tuesday, December 31, 2013

God's Word Never Changes

       Well,  Christmas is over and the New Year is here (or will be tomorrow, Lord willing).  It seems so strange to think 2014 will be a reality in the morning!  The time really does fly right on by us, doesn't it?  James refers to our lives as a vapor.  It is true - no matter how long any of us live here on earth it is nothing compared to eternity.  We would do well to remember this.  It is so important to make the most of our life -- to take every opportunity to serve God by serving others.
    Like a lot of folks, I had big plans for 2013.  I wanted to accomplish many things; and like many folks I didn't reach all of my goals.  I'm not complaining.  God is so good and I was abundantly blessed in 2013.  I praise the Father for my blessings. 
     Our life circumstances may change through the years; but our Lord goes with us through all of these changes.  The Hebrew writer assures that "Jesus Christ is the same  yesterday, today, and forever." (Hebrews 13:8)  What a comfort it is to know that He is always with us and that His promises will always stand true. 
    Christ never changes.  God never changes.  The Word never changes.  
       Psalm 33:11 - "The counsel of the Lord stands  forever,                             the thoughts of His heart to all generations." 
       Isaiah 40:8 -- "The grass withers, the flower fades; but the                        Word of our God shall stand forever." 
These are just two passages showing that God is always the same. His word will always be just as it is now.  His counsel stands forever.  
     This knowledge creates a certain sense of security and stability in my life.  How scary would it be to have a God who changed His mind about things every couple of years?  Pretty soon you wouldn't be able to remember which admonition was still in and what may have been cast by the wayside.  It would be more difficult to know how to live and what to do to please God!  The Holy Spirit has given us assurance that this will never happen.  
     On the other hand, we must take heed that we handle the Word of God appropriately.  We have the responsibility to learn what the Bible teaches and to rightly divide the scriptures.  It is difficult to abide by something that we do not know.  Ah, but God has given us the Bible so that we can know.  The Bible tells us what to do to be saved and how to live our lives for God and Christ.  It really is all right there in His Word.  All we have to do is seek it out and then live it out.  
       As the writer to the Hebrews says, God is true and faithful and just to reward those who diligently seek Him.  Jesus told us "If you love me, keep my commandments."  Those of you who read my posts frequently may get tired of seeing me refer to this scripture so often.  But it just seems to me it is about as clear as you can get. In order to keep the commandments of Christ we must know what they are.  We can't look at just one verse or one chapter - or even just one book and think we know everything there is to know about the commandments we are supposed to keep. 
     During the Christmas season, my husband and I enjoy watching Christmas movies.  He has a couple of favorites and so do I.  We both enjoy A Christmas Carol.  There are several different film versions of this famous story written by Charles Dickens.  I have watched many of them -- including the "Muppets" version.  Usually though, Robert and I enjoy two of the older versions - both in black and white.  They seem to keep the essence of the book.
     Why do I bring up A Christmas Carol in the middle of a discussion regarding God's word?  It is pertinent, I assure you.  The reason I bring this up is because all of the movies are based on one book.  This wonderful story - told and re-told many times through the years has its origins in one book written by one man. And yet, each movie is different from the other in some way.  
      Some of the differences in the various movies are very small -- and some of them aren't.  Some versions of this film choose to leave out scenes from the book.  Others have changed scenes to suit their needs in some way.  I haven't read Dickens' work in a long time; but I don't think any of the movies are exactly like the book.  Still, there is only one book called A Christmas Carol.
    Does this sound similar to how some of us treat the Bible?  Do we pick and choose what we want to teach and live by?  Do we forget that God said His Word would last forever?  Do we choose to think that Christ didn't really mean it when He said "Keep my commandments?"  
      Sometimes we might forget that the Bible teaches against gossip and lying; but it does.   God's word teaches we must work to support our families.  It is difficult to love and pray for our enemies.  Wouldn't it be so much easier to hold onto to that grudge until we can find a way to "get them back?" 
      Maybe we have trouble controlling our tempers or our tongues.  Maybe we feel like we are too proud or too busy to actually serve others - to help someone out who might truly need our help.  And sometimes our service to others might not be so pleasant; but remember Christ washed the apostles' dirty, road-weary feet. 
      Robin, are you saying we really have to talk to God every day?  The Bible says we are to pray without ceasing.  What about studying His Word?  It really is difficult to find time in my day to do that.  The scriptures say "study to show thyself approved."   Are we really supposed to change our lives for him?  Read Acts 2:38; or Romans 12:1-2 or Romans 6:4. 
      Well, I suppose I've rambled on long enough.  Sometimes I get carried away.  Occasionally, I start out on a post and my thoughts take me in a different direction by the end of it.  Once in a while as my thoughts bounce around in my head, so do the ideas I write about. 
     I know that tonight is a time of celebration for many.  We look forward to better times - to new adventures and new opportunities.  We know that changes come with each new year.  And we pray these transitions will all be good.  Just remember that God's Holy Word never changes.  God loves you and me.  He loved us before we were ever born. 
     "From the foundation of the world" He and His Son, our Savior planned to save us from our sins so that we could be in Heaven with Him.  All God has ever really wanted is for us to love and obey Him so that we could be with Him.  He wants to be with His children.  God, our wonderful Father, our perfect parent will always be there for You.  You can count on Him. 
     Show your love for Christ.  Keep His commandments.  Study to know what they are.  They will always be the same.  God's word will stand forever.  And in God's word He promises to reward those who diligently seek Him.  You can count on that.  Isn't that a wonderful thought to hold on to for 2014?

Happy New Year. 
And remember....

Keep Christ above all things,
Robin





      

No comments:

Post a Comment